Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tar Heels--- Final One?


      Hey-- I've been following the Tar Heels since 1967 or '68.  I remember going to Carolina Basketball Camp and watching Charlie Scott and other Tar Heel stars play pickup games in Carmichael Auditorium.  I remember the early 70's NIT Champions, and the first NCAA title in '82.  And there's been a few down years too-- like '77 or '84-- and more recently 2011.  But here we are, in 2016-- back in the Final Four.

      A lot of you Tar Heel fans have "analyzed until you're paralyzed" all of this basketball stuff, and I appreciate all of it-- I really do-- but gosh-- I think it will all come down to our team's heart and soul on Saturday and Monday.       I think the Tar Heels have a keen sense of ebb and flow in the game, and when the outcome is on the line, I think they are capable of making a run, or getting a stop--- and securing the win.

     Some-- not all-- but a few think that the Tar Heels are unbeatable now.  They've had a couple of ups and downs, but they hit their stride in the ACC Tournament and now they're rolling along, and no one can stop them.  As I've said before of the Panthers, and they possibly set the example-- It's Okay if EVERYONE ELSE thinks that-- but I just hope the TEAM won't buy into it. You see, there are three very good other teams in Houston-- and any of the three COULD beat us.  Fortunately, we only have to play TWO of them-- but we better not lose sight of what got us here-- and we also better be ready to play for forty minutes-- and not come out lackadaisical, or get a lead and get lazy or proud, and sit on it.

     One reporter said, "These are the Tar Heels we've been waiting for all year."  YES-- they are playing well.  It seems that most, if not all, of the players are contributing-- the stars and starters, as well as the subs and role players too.  They are giving it their BEST.   And it will probably take their BEST to win this thing.   One of the best things about this year's Tar Heel team has been their balance and sense of teamwork.  Lately, somehow they've also grabbed hold of the concept of stingy defense too, and their "D" has won them a few ball games down the stretch.

    Even though I recognize and admit that either Villanova, Oklahoma, or yes -- even our ACC rival Syracuse-- all could win the title this year, I believe the main ingredient is NOT the focus on the other teams-- but that OUR team play their absolute BEST.  If UNC plays their honest BEST game, I don't see how they can be beat.  And then-- even if they lose-- I'll somehow find a way in my heart to accept them as the champions that they really are.

     But heck-- or as Coach Ray says it, "Doggone It!"  Why win the Bronze or the Silver-- when we can win the GOLD ?

So--let's do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment